The Brunts Academy is committed to providing a planned programme of Careers, Employability and Enterprise for all students in Years 7-13.
Meet The Team
Mr Davies – Assistant Head for Sixth Form and Careers
Mrs Barnard – CEIAG Co-Ordinator (see more below)
Year 9 Aspirational Opportunity
Discover US is an aspiration raising programme run by University of Sheffield for high-achieving pupils (on track to achieve 5 GCSE’s at grade 9-6 including English at grade 4) who do not have a family tradition of going to University. The programme provides a valuable opportunity for students to visit the University 3 times each year from Year 9 to Year 11, it aims to excite and inspire students, help them to grow in confidence and open up their minds to the world of possibilities available to them through higher education study. For further information visit; www.sheffield.ac.uk/schools/outreachprogrammes/discover-us
Students that are interested in applying must see Miss Taylor for further information and official correspondence. Only 10 applications are available per school. All applications made must be supported by Brunts Academy. Deadline for submitting on-line applications is 19th October.
CEIAG Calendar 2018-19
All Year 10 students undertake 2 weeks’ work experience in April with Year 12 undertaking it in July. Students are supported throughout the process to enable them to secure placements relevant to their career aspirations and/ or subject interest. The placements are quality assured by the Evolve Trust to ensure all legal health and safety requirements are met.
Challenge projects are also held with local companies offering bespoke work experience opportunities for Year 10 students.
Post 16 Employability Opportunities
Post 16 students regularly attend Mansfield 2020 breakfasts where they network with over 120 local business leaders. The students are mapped to specific employers according to the students’ career aspirations and subjects.
Post 16 Career Internship
Managed by the Evolve Trust, the programme offer internships to Year 13 students not wishing to go university and looking for employment/ apprenticeships. The internship is built into the student’s timetable and supports them develop employability.
- The portal is live to parents, students and tutors.
- A careers programme is also on the portal.
- It gives daily access to online careers resources such as National Careers Service.
- It provides regular updates re Labour Market, Future Careers, employment opportunities i.e. apprenticeships.
Mrs Barnard – Careers Advisor
- Mrs Barnard attends parents’ evenings to raise the profile of careers to all parents and carers.
- Mrs Barnard holds independent careers meeting with students and parents/ carers as part of supporting students with securing their career aspirations and destinations.
- Mrs Barnard is a registered member of CDI holding a Level 6.
- The Brunts Academy is an affiliate of the CDI.
- Mrs Barnard regularly attends careers meetings to ensure the Academy has the latest information. This includes DNLCC and Boots.